Site Loader
File a Green Card Renewal


You need a valid green card to be eligible for many things in the US. If yours is about to expire, renew it as soon as possible.

If your application is rejected, you can appeal the decision with help from a lawyer. You also can seek low-cost legal aid from a nonprofit organization.

The Renewal Process

Green card holders have a variety of reasons to file for renewal. A common reason is that their green card has been lost, stolen, or damaged. Other reasons include a change of address, marriage or divorce, or a new job.

Once USCIS receives your form and supporting documents, they will send you a receipt notice. This will be a combination of 3 letters and 10 numbers that you can use to check the status of your application online.

Once you have received your receipt notice, you will need to attend a biometrics appointment. This is where you will have your digital fingerprints taken. You should take a copy of your receipt notice and a valid form of ID to this appointment. Depending on your case, it can take up to a year to receive your new card. If your application is denied, our Austin immigration attorneys can help you appeal the decision with a request for reconsideration.

Form I-90

If you want to renew or replace your expired permanent resident card (Green Card), you must file Form I-90 with supporting documents. The form asks for a few basic pieces of information, such as your name, date of birth, and alien registration number or A-Number. It also asks how you lost or damaged your old card, and whether you are applying because your card expired or because your previous green card has been lost or stolen.

Item 1 of the form asks where you originally filed your green card application, which is either an embassy or consulate or the USCIS office where you submitted it for approval. You must enter the same location in item 2 of the form when you are renewing or replacing your card.

Item 3 asks for the address where you receive mail, and where you would like to receive your new card if USCIS approves your renewal or replacement. Applicants can use the Additional Information space to provide additional information about their case.

Biometrics Appointment Notice

When you file for a green card renewal, USCIS will schedule a biometrics appointment at an Application Support Center (ASC). The ASC is where USCIS gathers the applicant’s fingerprints and photograph. The fingerprints are forwarded to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for a background check.

Typically, this is the first milestone of the application process. You will receive an ASC appointment notice about 5-8 weeks after filing your green card renewal package. The notice will have the location, date, time, and notice code of your appointment. Only the applicant or sponsor should attend the ASC appointment; children under 14 are not required to attend.

When you attend the appointment, you will be asked to bring your appointment notice and a photo ID. You should also not bring food, electronic devices or cameras into the ASC. At the end of your appointment, an agent will stamp your appointment notice to confirm that you attended. Keep this document in a safe place, as it will be needed if there are any administrative issues later on in your application process.

Filing Fees

Once USCIS has received your I-90, they will give you a receipt notice that extends your status as a lawful permanent resident. This will be in your USCIS online account.

You will also receive an ASC appointment notice informing you of the time and place where they will take your biometrics (fingerprints, photo, and signature). You can track the progress of your case through the USCIS website by entering your receipt number into the check status page.

Because green card renewal can be a long process, you may need to pay filing fees to expedite the process. However, if you find that the fee is too much, you can request a fee reduction. To qualify for a fee reduction, your annual household income must be between 150% and 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines ($19,410 for one household member). There are specific forms that you need to file to request the waiver. For more information, visit the USCIS webpage for Form I-90.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *