Site Loader


Form I-131, officially known as the  Application for Travel Document, is a form provided by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for individuals who need to obtain a travel document. This document comes in various types, including re-entry permits, refugee travel documents, and advance parole documents, each catering to different circumstances for individuals who are not U.S. citizens. It’s crucial for those who wish to travel abroad for an extended period or need to maintain their status while away from the United States to understand the application process and the implications of their travel on their status.

My understanding of Form I-131 is that its proper completion is vital for applicants who might need to leave the United States temporarily and seek re-entry. If you fail to obtain the necessary travel documentation before leaving the country, you may encounter complications when trying to return or jeopardize your immigration status. The USCIS reviews these applications and, upon approval, issues the relevant travel document, which proves that you are authorized to re-enter the U.S. without having to obtain a new visa.

Navigating the process of acquiring a travel document via Form I-131 involves stringent adherence to the requirements set forth by USCIS. It’s important to file the form well in advance of the intended travel date, as processing times can fluctuate. Moreover, each type of travel document serves a specific purpose and comes with its own set of eligibility requirements that must be met by the applicant. My role, as someone with experience on the topic, is to provide clarity on how to approach the application process and to underline the importance of following the correct procedures to ensure uninterrupted travel and compliance with U.S. immigration laws.

Eligibility and Application Process

In preparing to apply for a travel document with Form I-131, I must assess my eligibility and understand the necessary steps to ensure a correct and complete application.

Determining Eligibility

First, I need to establish my eligibility for filing Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. Eligibility largely depends on my immigration status. As a permanent resident or conditional resident, I may file for a re-entry permit if I intend to return from temporary travel abroad and I have not abandoned my status. If I am a refugee or asylee and cannot obtain a passport from my home country, I would file for a refugee travel document. Those who currently have Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status may apply for advance parole in order to travel for certain humanitarian, educational, or employment purposes.

Completing the Form I-131

Completing Form I-131 requires attention to detail:

  • Part 1: I must provide my name, alien registration number (A-Number) if applicable, and other personal information.

  • Part 2: I will select the type of travel document I am applying for, where options include a re-entry permit, refugee travel document, or advance parole.

  • Part 4: If I have a pending Form I-485 for adjustment of status to permanent residence, I need to provide details about my application.

I must ensure all sections applicable to my situation are filled accurately.

Supporting Documents and Filing Tips

Submitting the correct supporting documents is crucial. Here are some common requirements based on my status:

  • Permanent Residents: I must include a copy of my front and back green card or other proof of my permanent residence.

  • Refugee or Asylee: I should provide proof of my refugee or asylum status and any previous travel documents.

  • DACA Recipients: Copies of recent DACA approval notices are needed.

Closely following the official USCIS filing tips will help expedite the process:

  1. I will use the latest version of Form I-131.
  2. I must sign the form; unsigned forms are rejected.
  3. I will include the correct fee, if applicable or apply for a fee waiver.

Additionally, if I am filing for a child, I must include documents proving the child’s identity and relationship to me, such as a birth certificate.

Filing Form I-131 accurately and with the proper documentation is critical for a smooth application process.

Travel Scenarios and Special Considerations

In navigating U.S. immigration processes, understanding the link between travel and your immigration status is crucial. Each travel document serves a unique purpose and requires specific considerations depending on your status and the nature of your journey.

Advance Parole for DACA and Asylum Applicants

Advance Parole allows individuals who are in the United States temporarily, such as those with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) or asylum applicants, to travel abroad and return legally. To obtain this document, Form I-131 must be filed with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). It is imperative to have advance parole before leaving the country; otherwise, reentry could be denied or affect pending immigration applications like Form I-485 for adjustment of status.

  • Eligibility Criteria:

    • Current DACA recipient.
    • Asylum applicants and asylees.
    • Individuals with a pending Form I-485.

  • Important Consideration: Avoid travel if in removal proceedings without consulting an immigration lawyer.

Re-Entry Permits for Permanent Residents

Permanent Residents and Conditional Permanent Residents may need a Re-entry Permit if travel outside the U.S. exceeds one year but is less than two. This permit, obtained by filing Form I-131, helps prevent the assumption that you have abandoned your permanent resident status. Carry your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) and re-entry permit when traveling.

  • Validity: Generally valid for 2 years from the date of issue.
  • Non-Extendable: Must be in the U.S. when filing for a new permit after expiration.

Required Documentation:

  • Valid Permanent Resident Card.
  • Two identical color photographs.

Refugee Travel Documents

Refugees or individuals granted asylee status must apply for a Refugee Travel Document using Form I-131 if they wish to travel outside the United States. This document is essential for re-entering the country as it serves as proof of your status and permission to travel.

  • Application Timeframe: At least 60 days before planned travel.
  • Validity: Typically valid for one year.

Traveling with Pending Applications

Those with pending applications for certain immigration benefits, like adjustment of status or Temporary Protected Status (TPS), must secure the appropriate travel authorization before leaving the U.S. Advance Parole is often needed for trips abroad during this period.

  • Consequences: Departing without the correct documentation may result in the termination of your pending application.

  • Documents Required: Often entails a valid passport, Advance Parole Travel Document, and possibly Employment Authorization if working in the U.S.

Recommendation: Always consult with USCIS or an immigration lawyer before international travel when holding or applying for immigration statuses, to ensure compliance with all necessary requirements.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *